Painting an asbestos roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently took a good look at our shed roof and found the old asbestos corrugated roofing to be in a very poor state of repair. It's chipped and damaged in places with moss embedded in it and loads of nasty looking fibres sticking out (see pic below). Moreover, because the moss has eaten into the roof, the surface crumbles off when touched.

The roof is sound with no leaks, and I can't afford to replace it anyway, so I was going to seal it - both outside and inside - with a good thick coat of masonry paint.

Does anyone have any experience? Are there any better options for sealing the roof?

asbestos-roof-sm.jpg

Sponsored Links

Is that an overkill?

It doesn't need waterproofing - it's an extremely steep pitched roof so leaks aren't an issue - I just want something to seal all those nasty looking fibres in.

If Acrypol is the best thing, I found this as a cheaper alternative. What do you think?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back