Asbestos corrugated garage roof??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
My garages have (what ai believe to be) an asbestos corrugated roof. It was covered in moss, which I have scrapped off, and the rest of it looks fairly solid.
I don't want to takeit down, but i do want it water tight. I think due to all the moss and water held as a result it has damaged the roof creating small cracks.

I put a couple of coats of PVA (5:1, then 3:1) on the inside in an attempt to seal it, but it has not done the job - it is better, but not good enough for my project car! :).

Is there something else I can do, or is there a tar/bitumin product that I can paint onto the top so it seals it and stops further moss growth???

Your advice is apprciated.
Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Cheers noseall.
I read that thread, but mine drips a lot more when it is raining. I think mine is a bit more than condensation as I have nothing in there at the minute.
However, i have sealed some of the larger gaps at the edge of the roof with expanding foam. This would have reduced the ventilation somewhat!
Bugger!

Sponsored Links
U can get a product called all weather brush which is a paint on cold bitumus sealent.We use it at my company for all our garage repaires and it works a treat.Its very easy to apply with a large paintbrush.

Sounds like it's on its last legs. Time to knock it on the head and replace with corry bitumen sheets instead.

Cheers fellas.
Sound like the paint on Bitumen is the stuff.
The sheets are reasonably solid, so I'll try that first.
Thanks again.
Huw

I've cleaned all the moss off now and bought a general purpose bitumin sealing paint.
It states to use about 20 preparation products - as they usually do, but if I just give the roof a good clean with water and a scrubbing brush, wait 'til it's dry, then paint - would that be enough to hold off any future moss growth??

It is not condensation as I got a heater in there last night while I was doing some work. Freezing outside with no rain and toasty in the garage - not one drip! Definately a leaking issue me thinks!

Thanks agian

I painted some of the underside of my garage roof about 18 months ago, was ok last winter but this year there's loads of drips coming off the roof.

The garage was dry last year, but there's been quite a bit of rainwater running in down one side recently. I noticed that there are no drops where I haven't painted but the bitumen coated areas are dripping everywhere. So try to only paint the cracks, don't completely cover the roof, as this type of roof needs to 'breathe' somewhat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back