Fiesta Brake Warning light - Calipers, Fluid and Pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 2006 Ford Fiesta Finesse Diesel 1.4 about 10 weeks ago.

Four weeks ago I checked the Hydraulic fluid level and noticed it was almost to minimum, didn't get around to doing anything about it. It maybe of note the screen wash was completely dry and there was minimum engine coolant when I bought it (both now sorted). 3 days ago I noticed the brake warning light came up mostly when accelerating a lower speeds, am confident this is due to movement of the fluid in tank whilst travelling. The MOT history last October shows an advisory of 'ragged jammed in osf brake caliper', which was repaired sometime between then and two weeks before I bought the car (maximum 9 month period with jammed caliper).

Could the jammed caliper have caused the kind of wear that would use excess hydraulic fluid If so, can I visually check the brake pads for wear without removing the wheel?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
A jammed caliper (easily sorted) can cause rapid wear of the brake pads. The fluid level will drop, naturally enough, but not to such an extent that the low fluid level warning comes on. The brake pads themselves may have a wear limit indicator, which may illuminate the same light.
Sorry I don't understand 'Ragged jammed in caliper'?
You can just about see the outboard pad with the wheel on, but not the inboard one, I'm afraid.
John :)

'Ragged jammed in caliper' is literally quoted from the second to last entry in the gov website MOT History page for the car. I'm assuming it as been fixed as the most recent MOT makes no mention of it and I don't imagine its something you can easily miss.

If its not worn pads or a leak I'm wondering if the last mechanic didn't replace the fluid lost when replacing the capiler. I haven't seen any leaking but still need to check properly. The fluid has probably been very low since I bought it and the light may have been on a lot longer but....as its my first car I've only just been able to take my eyes off the road long enough to examine dash!

The brake pads themselves may have a wear limit indicator, which may illuminate the same light.

Thanks John, I'd have thought though that if it was a wear limit indicator illuminating the brake warning light it was stay on consistently and not become irregular and intermittent when travelling?

Sponsored Links
The calipers have two pads, as you know, but when you press the brake pedal the piston in the caliper presses on only one pad. To even the force out, the caliper is allowed to slide on pins which can get stuck....I imagine this is what was meant on the MOT advisory. Either way, forget about that for now.
Some brake pads have wear indicators and some don't - you just can't tell without looking for an electrical connection stuck into the pad itself. In any case, this system isn't reliable anyway, most of the time.
Your illuminated lamp sounds like it is being operated by low fluid, but of course it should extinguish immediately the fluid reservoir is topped up. Another possibility, believe it or not, is the switch at the bottom of the handbrake lever. This also works the same dashboard lamp.
As for fluid leaks, the most prominent area is actually at the back of the car - look for wetness on the inside of the rear tyres as the front calipers very rarely leak.
So.....check the fluid level first, and then check visually the thickness of each brake pad --wheels off, unfortunately!
Be lucky!
John :)
PS Post back if you see or smell diesel leaks, in the back of the engine area - nothing connected with your brakes of course!
J.

Back