Part worn brake pads, can I use them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working on my car lately, and upon checking the front brakes I noticed that the pads on one side had about half wear, as I expected, whilst the other side had virtually no wear and is still essentially a set of brand new pads.

The caliper piston seal had a big hole in it so i fugured it was siezed, and have since refurbished both front calipers, new lubricant, seals, etc.

My question (and it may be a daft one) is that now Im putting it back together, can I use the pads? I know that people always say to change both together so that the level of wear is the same, but I can't find information on why? My car felt fine braking before the refurb and it was essentially only braking on one side, so surely the uneven pads is better than braking one side only?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Change them. You’ll have to change them anyway when the thinnest wears out plus if it’s been sticking on, the constant heat could have damaged it.

Wellll, you can Tom but if you really must, keep them in the same orientation as you took them out.
Also check the disc surfaces for corrosion, especially on the dud side.
Personally for thirty quid or whatever I’d stick a new set in.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back