Fiesta (central) locking/unlocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hope you can help. As per thread title, when I try to get into my fiesta it continuously locks - unlocks - locks and so on for maybe 10 or 20 times. If I want to get into my car, I have to keep trying to use the handle until it eventually lets me in. I lost the remote sometime ago, so just using the locks manually. This only started today so wandering if some water from the recent weather might of got in somewhere.

It does it when I try to unlock either the drivers door or passenger door. When it stops, if I try pulling the handle the whole sequence starts again.

Make: Ford
Model: Fiesta MK5
Engine size/Type: 1600
Year: 2002
Mileage: 65K

I have tried spraying WD40 into the locks but to no avail. Tried disconnecting the battery and did start to remove the interior panelling but it started to get dark, so will have to wait till tomorrow if anyone can come up with some suggestions in the mean time. I also tried removing the fuse (no 21) but then I couldn't even get into the car, and had to climb through the boot.

If there is anything else you need to know please let me know.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
as you have said its probably water ingress but where is another question.
older ford door actuators suffered with this but im not sure if the design has changed
Id suspect one of the door actuators but you will need to remove panels etc to investigate further for signs of moisture

Thanks ch427,

Do you know where the central locking motors are located? I had a brief look but couldn't find them. To get access to the locking mechanism, I will also need to remove the runners for the windows, which is a bit of a pain.

Another thing I forgot to mention, but is probably quite obvious, the whole locking/unlocking is the same as when you try to lock the car but leave one of the doors slightly open, so that makes me wander if it is something mechanical rather than electrical. The interior handles move 'in' and 'out', it does seem as if the movement of the drivers door handle is restricted in comparison to the passenger door.

I am also concious of burning the motors out.

Thanks again

before you start ripping things apart,check the wiring within the rubber boots between bulkhead and door/s,they are known to fray and cause no end of problems.

Sponsored Links
before you start ripping things apart,check the wiring within the rubber boots between bulkhead and door/s,they are known to fray and cause no end of problems.

Too Late, but will be the first thing I check in the morning.

Thanks

I've had a look this morning and can't really see into the rubber boots, so can't tell if the wiring is frayed or not.

I did however notice that the door light is constantly on, regardless of whether one of the doors is open or not.

It now seems that I can open/lock the drivers door without the constant locking/unlocking, which clearly doesn't initiate the central locking. However, when I try to unlock the passenger door the whole locking unlocking process starts again. I have also noticed that I can manually lock the drivers door from inside the car, but can not lock the passengers door the same way.

Any idea's?

Thanks

Sorry, I know this thread was started a long time ago!
I was just wondering if you'd found a solution, as I have exactly the same problem with my Fiesta at the moment! :confused:
Thank you xx

Sponsored Links
Back