Fiesta mk4 1.3 petrol starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a fiesta mk4 1.3 petrol. When I start the car, it very often revs not only when the engine starts but a couple of times afterwards (so three times in total). It's done this for the last week and one time cut out after only doing it the once.

Has anyone else had this? I've had a smell of petrol intermittently and have changing the petrol cap and had it checked over by my local garage who said there is no leak from any of the fuel lines and the fuel filter is in good condition.

Only mentioned the fuel thing in case it is related in some way. Could it be something like the spark plugs or coil pack and if so how easy is it to change these? I don't want to waste money in labour at the garage if I can do it myself. Car is also steaming up as well although I think there is a leak in the boot as the carpet in there is wet, will have to look at that at the weekend.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a start, check for disconnected / split / deteriorated rubber pipes that are present in the throttle body area - your problem is very typical of an air leak.
The boot wetness problem is likely to be in the rear light cluster area - very common.
John :)

As suggested they are very common for air leaks and sometimes these are very hard to find as the hoses are well hidden.
Another common problem is the idle control valve getting gummed up and needing a clean.

Sponsored Links
Back