fiesta mk4 fuel injection problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fiesta mk4 1.3 endura-e encore and its giving me lots of problems.

It rev's up when i stop and takes a long to die back down. it's started driving itself along the road and accelerating at that. I have to constantly drive with my foot on the brake. when i'm driving along, if i put my foot down on the clutch it rev's like mad!! All this seams to get worse as the engine heats up.

I have replaced the hego sensor, throttle positon sensor and the idle speed control valve, but still not cured the problem. To make the car driveable i have disconnected the throttle position sensor. As i read that there could be a wiring fault i have cut off the connector to the throttle position sensor and replaced it with spade connectors, but still not fixed the problem. I have of course cleaned every connection that i can see.

any suggestions please...

Yours desperate Helen

Sponsored Links
Without physically seeing the car it is difficult to say EXACTLY what's wrong but these did suffer with bad connections and broken wires in the big black multiplugs on the bulkhead. I've repaired a couple of these in the past which where doing the same as you are describing.

Suspects :-

Maybe too obvious but proper cable operation/adjustment. Nothing obstructing pedal assembly?

Like Tilly said poss. air leak. Manifold gasket? Try spraying wd40 around it, see if there's any effect.

Setting the tickover speed properly after having changed the ICV.

And (long shot) power steering sensor. (if p/s present!) Try disconnecting wiring plug.

:( Powertrain Control Module faulty.

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:

Maybe too obvious but proper cable operation/adjustment. Nothing obstructing pedal assembly?

Like Tilly said poss. air leak. Manifold gasket? Try spraying wd40 around it, see if there's any effect.

And (long shot) power steering sensor. (if p/s present!) Try disconnecting wiring plug.

Disconnecting the Power Steering Sensor will make the Idle speed increase (- well it did on mine) so I would not suggest that!

Is the throttle butterfly valve stuck?

Tels said:
keyplayer said:

Disconnecting the Power Steering Sensor will make the Idle speed increase (- well it did on mine) so I would not suggest that!

Is the throttle butterfly valve stuck?

Presumably your PSS was functioning properly though?

Thanks for all your comments.

No power stearing on my model (its only the very basic)

We checked for air leaks but that all seamed fine.

Disonnected the Speedo Sensor last night, car seams to run ok now! not revving or stalling. Is that likely to be the culprit?

will get my father to check the throttle butterfly valveand get back on that one.

Thanks again

A common fault on Ford's. It's possibly the

Idle Speed control Valve.

Melts down inside and causes the over revving.

Another possibility is the Vacuum on the throttle. I had this problem on a Cavalier, whether its the same for a Fiesta i'm not sure, but the little rubber diaphram had a little nick in it and caused the over revving then dying down.

Fords, however tend to be the Idle Speed control valve.

Hope this helps. Paul.

helenseale did you fix this problem and can you tell me what problem is?

good luck in getting a reply, the op only made 2 posts, 5 months ago

I had a same problem, all it was.
Idlle speed controler, and liambda!
Try whem.

Hi

IM having the Exact same problem on my mk4

did you discover what the problem was and how did u solve it??

any info will be greatly appreciated :)

First thing to do is get a can of carburettor cleaner from halfrauds and clean the throttle body and butterfly.

Sponsored Links
Back