File sharing - limewire

I

imamartian

anyone got an understanding of what's going on here... i heard limewire got pulled... is it still down? Any opinions on this sort of file sharing?

Sponsored Links
LimeWire is under a court order dated October 26, 2010 to stop distributing the LimeWire software. A copy of the injunction can be found here. LimeWire LLC, its directors and officers, are taking all steps to comply with the injunction. We have very recently become aware of unauthorized applications on the internet purporting to use the LimeWire name. We demand that all persons using the LimeWire software, name, or trademark in order to upload or download copyrighted works in any manner cease and desist from doing so. We further remind you that the unauthorized uploading and downloading of copyrighted works is illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire

yeah i read that, i just heard though, that it had re-emerged as limewire pirate or something?

Sponsored Links
Daughter used it once on an old PC and it screwed it up something rotten.
Bearshare was another one that plays havoc with your system.

Since that happened to my old PC I dumped it, got a new one and everything is kept updated and run on a regular basis, Nothing seems able to get through these days.

definitely use a program such as peerblock to limit the number of organisation that can snoop on your pc to see what you are downloading. Its like a firewall behind your firewall. Its amazing how many requests it blocks when just surfing regular sites.

And every time you use peerblock update it, and wait for it to confirm updates installed before going to a torrent site.

Also peerblock is free.

And every time you use peerblock update it, and wait for it to confirm updates installed before going to a torrent site.

Also peerblock is free.
not sure how you update it :S
Even loading this very website causes it to block many connections presumably from spy pixels in the adverts? Destination is 4.71.209.22:80 :mad:

LimeWire is under a court order dated October 26, 2010 to stop distributing the LimeWire software. A copy of the injunction can be found here. LimeWire LLC, its directors and officers, are taking all steps to comply with the injunction. We have very recently become aware of unauthorized applications on the internet purporting to use the LimeWire name. We demand that all persons using the LimeWire software, name, or trademark in order to upload or download copyrighted works in any manner cease and desist from doing so. We further remind you that the unauthorized uploading and downloading of copyrighted works is illegal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire[/QUOTE]

Thats a very Americanised version of a report, that presumably isn't the law in the UK? So if Limewire servers are not based in the US (as the internet is global), then the court order doesn't stand?

And yes - I've had bad experiences with Limewire, and Bearshare, as to installing viruses, spam, pop ups, and other nasties. Even with the best firewalls, virus detection, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire[/QUOTE]

Thats a very Americanised version of a report, that presumably isn't the law in the UK? So if Limewire servers are not based in the US (as the internet is global), then the court order doesn't stand?

And yes - I've had bad experiences with Limewire, and Bearshare, as to installing viruses, spam, pop ups, and other nasties. Even with the best firewalls, virus detection, etc...

Sponsored Links
Back