FileMaker Pro 9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just bought 2 licences for our new business of FileMaker Pro 9 on the re-commendation of a friend who uses it at work.

Having watched the FileMaker online video with the spinning wheel showing all the different parts of a business it certainly looks the database for us.

Now the question, how easy is it for a layman to get the whole thing up and running. I have a great deal of interest in these things and enjoy learning, however, clearly spending weeks trying to do it is not practical.

My experience outside basic computer operation is limited, i'm ok with Excel but have no knowledge of Access for instance.

Is it something i should tackle alone or do i need to pay an expert to set it up for us ?

If so how does one go about finding such an expert ?

Cheers, Aqua.

Sponsored Links
I personally looked at the mentioned program and decided to get help, i am not good with databases and if you are not a tec head get some help it will pay you to do so in the future especially if they can show you how to use it too.

Agreed, i am certainly not a tec head (wish i was) and feel it will be beyond my ability.

So how do i find someone with the necessary ability to set this database up ?

You should really have done it the other way round, find a company who specializes in databases, and see what they suggest.
That said, cannot your friend find out who installed and configured their system.

Sponsored Links
You should have looked at using something like Microsoft Access.
Its used everywhere, plenty of Forumns, Im self taught on it.
Its as complicated as you want it to
be, you can import/export with m/s products & produce reports.
I bet you could produce a database within 15 minutes.

We are now speaking to a Filemaker designer so it looks like problem solved, with a bit more £££££ of course :)

Im not sure of the difference but our company IT guys say that our Microsoft Access databases such as for pat testing are not reliable enough in their eyes and they are in contact with the companies that produce the software to enquire about the writing of SQL based ones? They give me the impression that although Microsoft Access is ok, it's not robust enough for big business use.

Sponsored Links
Back