Fill pebbledash crack before painting

Sponsored Links
The crack will need cut out and expamet lath fixed on before re-rendering.

Dont know what the finish is looks like tyrolean.

It does look like Tyrolean - badly applied Tyrolean thats been applied in "panels," working to "cold" joints. However, thats not the problem and alastair has given you a solution.

Perhaps you could post more detailed pics, and if you hack out the cracks, perhaps, post pics of what the masonry sub-surface looks like?

You could form a pier so that an internal angle is a mastic movement joint as then you don't need to worry about it cracking again ( it looks structural but can't tell. If it is it will keep cracking) or matching the existing (which you won't be able to do) .

JUst another thing to think about

Sponsored Links
You could form a pier so that an internal angle is a mastic movement joint as then you don't need to worry about it cracking again ( it looks structural but can't tell. If it is it will keep cracking) or matching the existing (which you won't be able to do) .

Don't really understand the 'pier/internal angle' stuff (though I've heard of mastic - kind of dog isn't it...!)?

I did wonder about it being structural. There's no internal cracking which I hope is a good sign.

If you start hacking off and using expanded metal then before you know it you'll be redoing the whole wall. It seems that it's facing away from your land across a field so I'd just force frame sealant into the crack from a cartridge/gun and paint the whole wall in masonry paint. Why look for work?

If you start hacking off and using expanded metal then before you know it you'll be redoing the whole wall. It seems that it's facing away from your land across a field so I'd just force frame sealant into the crack from a cartridge/gun and paint the whole wall in masonry paint. Why look for work?
Correct. To take the photos I had to take my life in my hands and brave the bullocks. They are the only ones who will see the repair.

My thinking is
* if it is structural, it is very slow movement. I've been there 15 years and believe there were cracks then though I've notmonitored closely.

* if not structural, my main concern is to stop water getting in behind the pebbledash)or whatever it is) and causing more damage.

So frame sealant followed by paint seems an economic compromise. Though I did wonder about cement.

edit: What's so wrong with bullocks? I can write 'cows' I assume.....?

I'm sorry for your troubles - are you attempting to refer to your neighbour's or a previous poster?

Don't really understand the 'pier/internal angle' stuff (though I've heard of mastic - kind of dog isn't it...!)?

I did wonder about it being structural. There's no internal cracking which I hope is a good sign.

You could form a 'pillar 'on the surface so that the internal angle is where the crack is controlled, by a mastic control joint and beading. For the shape... Imagine a scaffold board fixed upright to the wall , where the edge of the board touches the wall would be a gap.

You are just forming this shape with beads and render (it only has to be a bead thicknesss) so that it looks like a designed item not a filled crack

I'm sorry for your troubles - are you attempting to refer to your neighbour's or a previous poster?

The bullocks live in the field, chew the cud, deposit ****, and generally take an interest in my comings and goings.....! :D

Actually , not something I have done but would it be possible to fix some kind of cement board or PVC type trim over it and seal all around with mastic?

Easiset solution as said above is is to rake it out well or use grinder to give you a proper chance of getting your mastic in there properly, and just mastic it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back