Fill small holes in PVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I have drilled a few holes in my PVC windows and need to fill them. They were for child locks but no longer need. They are very small (2 mm or so). Can anyone suggest a product or method to fill them?

Thanks a lot.

Al

Sponsored Links
I am not a uPVC expert but been in window business all my life and I do not think there is any type of filler or resin that you can use that will be invisible after the repair. Even if you did use something to fill in the holes, when it comes sanding and smoothing the filler flat, your going to remove the shine of the uPVC in of the surrounding area and make the repair more noticeable.

You can sort of polish uPVC but it takes a high speed polisher and going down in grit grades from very fine to ultra ultra fine, like wet and dry on car body repairing. And even then, because you have removed the manufactured finish the polished area collects dirt more than the surrounding area so again starts to notice in time.

Best try and hide the holes or leave locks on even if not used.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Countersink the holes very ,very slightly and then use stelmax...make sure its warm first as it will come out of the tube better.
Make sure your hands are totally clean and only put a small amount in the hole as it dries really fast.
Wet a finger and smooth over before it dries.

Cut the smallest hole possible in the nozzle or you will be in trouble.

Have a practice first as you will only get one chance on your windows without making them look worse.

Hi PBSCO

Countersink the holes very ,very slightly and then use stelmax...make sure its warm first as it will come out of the tube better.
Make sure your hands are totally clean and only put a small amount in the hole as it dries really fast.

Have a practice first as you will only get one chance on your windows without making them look worse.

I want to fill some screw holes in the pvcu door frame so I can re-drill to fit new multi point door lock keeps.

Is this product what you meant? http://www.stelmax.co.uk/pvcfiller.php If not which one please?

I assume that the holes need to be grease free so what would you recommend as a de-greaser.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
I am not a uPVC expert but been in window business all my life and I do not think there is any type of filler or resin that you can use that will be invisible after the repair. Even if you did use something to fill in the holes, when it comes sanding and smoothing the filler flat, your going to remove the shine of the uPVC in of the surrounding area and make the repair more noticeable.

You can sort of polish uPVC but it takes a high speed polisher and going down in grit grades from very fine to ultra ultra fine, like wet and dry on car body repairing. And even then, because you have removed the manufactured finish the polished area collects dirt more than the surrounding area so again starts to notice in time.

Best try and hide the holes or leave locks on even if not used.

Sorry I couldn't help.

I k now this is an old thread but thought i'd comment. You can sand imperfections out it pvc such as scratches and of course welds and then polish them out, i've repaired many a scratches and even holes the size of golf balls, started at 80 grit paper to sand the bulk away and then worked upwards to 120, 200, 400, 800, 1000, eventually bringing the shine back with 1200 and finishing with 1600. The small scratches you talk of i assume are around bay cill welds and due to fabricators not sanding/polishing for long enough mainly down to time constraints. As for a high speed polisher you probably mean a 'DA' sander, well i've always done it by hand and got outstanding results but if your lazy or haven't got time then by all means use one

Hi PBSCO

I want to fill some screw holes in the pvcu door frame so I can re-drill to fit new multi point door lock keeps.

Is this product what you meant? http://www.stelmax.co.uk/pvcfiller.php If not which one please?

I assume that the holes need to be grease free so what would you recommend as a de-greaser.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Yes thats the stuff although i've never had good results with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back