PVC Window Trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Bit of a newbie question I'm afraid.

Ive bought some PVC window trim to tidy up the inside of my new windows.
What is the best method to stick them down?
Considering that my Window sills are made of polyboard.

Also this maybe obvious but is it best to use the same width trim all the way around?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Use silicone to stick down with, low modulas neutral cure or LMN. If I trim up with different widths I tend to put the widest along the top and bottom and the narrowest down the sides

Now that's interesting Crank, I tend to use superglue with an activator to glue the trim the window frame, and then apply the silicone to fill any gaps under the edge of the trim and the wall.

Fair play to anyone that uses superglue, in 25 years I've never ever mastered it, I either get it all over my fingers or smear it across the frame as I'm offering the trim up , never again! Some guys use glazing tape, that's all fine but I find if it gets super hot the glue softens and the trims pull away, at least with silicone you have loads of wiggle time

Sponsored Links
Superglue isn't easy, and one day, they'll stick something on the side of the bottle that you can use as a guide. I've learnt the knack of using the palm of my hand as a guide, but it's not a perfect method, so do sometimes end up gluing my fingers. I also got taught to glue the trim, and put activator on the frame, and as long as you can hold the off the trim as you go, then it works quite well.

When I use sealant, it goes everywhere, and it's a bastard to clean up.

See I have the knack of using just the right amount of silicone, if I do get any splurge I wipe it off with some handy wipes, good at dissolving wet silicone

Ok so I have had mixed results...I got the bottom and both sides of the window trim to stick no problems.
However the top section is a bit of a problem.

I initially stuck it on with some Ever Build Instant Nails however it fell off once then. So I tried to push it down again, but after an hour notice one side was coming away again.

I'm not sure why it was coming away maybe I didn't put enough compound on.

I then cleaned off the Ever Build from the PVC trim, then applied some No Nonsense Builders Silicone Sealant ...and re applied the trim..however after about 30 minutes it just feel off.

So I will leave it for today and have another go tomorrow:(

Do not use no nails of any type, dries hard and won't allow for expansion, silicome all the way although i wouldnt touch anything from the no nonsense stable, I once had a tube of decorators caulk thinking how could they get this so wrong, honestly it came out like water.

As for your experience I would guess you've not put a big enough bead on, it needs more than a smear

Do not use no nails of any type, dries hard and won't allow for expansion, silicome all the way although i wouldnt touch anything from the no nonsense stable, I once had a tube of decorators caulk thinking how could they get this so wrong, honestly it came out like water.

As for your experience I would guess you've not put a big enough bead on, it needs more than a smear

This No Nonsense Silicone comes out like water actually I will try a different brand of Silicone tomorrow ! (I will avoid the No Nails too)

For the top, run some glue along the trim as well.
Stick the trim up as before on sealant, keep it away from the frame until it's straight/in correct position, then push onto frame.
Spray some activator along to set in place
Only a small bead of glue required!

Im not a fan of super-gluing trims. If its a big trim and your worried about it coming off while the silicone sets use a few bits of 1/2mm security glazing tape as well.

The annoying thing with glue is if you ever want to take the trims off, To replace trim or to plaster windows in then you end up with scar lines on the windows. Same goes for Stalemax

Ok so I am still having a nightmare with this.. in the small bedroom the top and the bottom of the windows trims sticks ok. However both the left and right are coming away in the middle..I can only assume the walls can't be flat ..I tried taking one of them off and now it is taken away some of the plaster ...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aEGVR2ize1xrih6D6 photos here ..im tempted just to nail it in place with these .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/30mm-White..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MSDJNXAFT9P8G87J1G4C

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back