Replacing exterior trims/beading (?) in PVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first off apologies for terminology - I'm trying to figure out what the parts are called so I can buy them!

As per the pic, there's a piece of trim/moulding that I've highlighted in red between the pvc window and the sill. I'm assuming this was there because the previous owners replaced original sash windows with pvc, and this was a filler piece?

In any event it's made of softwood, I think, which has become rotten. So when it rains some damp gets inside. Rest of the windows are fine, so just looking to replace these strips with pvc versions.

But could someone please let me know what it's called, what type I should be looking for? Is it a trim, mould, beading? I'm guessing it should be simple to gut out the existing and replace with this and seal the edges once I've figured out the bit I need.

Any advice would be great!

Window strip.png

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid to do that correctly , in an ideal world , the whole window needs to come out. As if that is sat on that piece of wood then as it rots the situation will only get worse BUT there are a couple of ways that may work without removing the window. First would be just to put a bit of 28mm/45mm white trim over it and seal it with silicone... not ideal but the quickest way ( but may leak in the future as the sealant detoriates over the years ). Otherway is to chip all the wood away , and either fill with fixing foam , or if the screws that should be screwed through the frame into the wood will come out , then remove the screws and use ' add-on ' ( sometimes called knock-on ) to fill the gap, putting silicone on the face that will meet the window frame , and the face that meets the cill, then rescrew it down through the screws you removed, maybe secondly cover it with a trim to to give it more of a chance.

Is the exterior window cill pvc? if so very odd to put wood there. In fact no window fitter worth his salt would have left that wood there, it should have been removed when the window was fitted

@ronniecabers - thanks for that, super helpful! Clearly not as simple as I'd hoped.

To answer - no, the cill is not pvc, it's concrete (I assume). It wouldn't surprise me that the previous job was done shoddily - the previous owners rented it out, so probably weren't that watchful, and the window company that installed them in 2007 no longer exists.

Adding additional trim seems the simplest as you say - but if the softwood below is already rotten, presumably that will keep rotting even if I cover and seal over it?

And the screws you refer to - would those be visible from the inside of the window?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Great, thank you both. Guess I'll just have to hope that the wood inside doesn't continue to rot/seep into the wall.

Appreciate the suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back