Fill trench left when removing internal wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating my house and have removed some internal walls.

Where the walls stood there is now a 2 inch trench that needs filling. There was some dpm under the walls but it didn't continue under the floor. The dpm was damaged when removing the walls. Is it necessary to replace this? Also what would be the best mix to fill the trench.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• trenchlow.jpg
    trenchlow.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
jawilba, good evening.

You mention that the DPM had been "damaged"? was it at the base of the trench in the floor?

On the right of the image posted, there is a black material on the floor, how thick is it? then on the right there are what appear to be old floor tiles? these tiles can contain Asbestos? were they checked ? and did these sort of tiles appear on the right hand side of the image?

Ken.

Hi,

The black material is thin less than 0.5mm. I've left it alone as I was concerned that it may contain asbestos. I'm hoping I can seal and cover rather than remove. I was going to make a new thread for that. The tiles were broken so I've removed them. It didn't occur to me they may also contain asbestos.

The dpm was at the base of the trench and it was ripped and came up when the wall was removed. From what I've read internal walls have dpm at the base but my query is do I need to put one back as there is no longer a wall. What would be the best mix or material to fill the trench.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Agree with TCR, tiles are safe even if they contain asbestos as they don’t shed fibres .

Thanks for the input.

I wasn't sure if I still needed any damp proofing there now but I suppose it's better to put it back and not need it rather than need it and not put it.

Thanks

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back