Filling in floor channel after removal of internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[/img]

Hi, I have had an internal wall removed in the kitchen and I am left with this channel. I will be laying wood flooring but to give it some support can I fill it with bonding plaster (I have a lot left over) on the bricks up to the level of the existing floor boards?

Sponsored Links
No. Dont use bonding as a filler. With floors esp. all stop gap remedies will come back to haunt you.

Are the two floors level with each other?

What kind of wood flooring do you propose as a finished floor?

I have a possible solution in mind but first could you pic a larger view of the two floors with the boards exposed on the left hand side.

The floor is level across the gap. I will be laying 4mm insulation and then planks of engineered wood.

The boards are exactly the same on the other side. Basically as it is only narrow I thought any bit of support would be ok?

if your over boarding the old floor then i would cut back the ends of the boards onto the joists either end and lay some floor board between them.

Sponsored Links
Just done pretty much the same thing. My floor joists are sat on 3 courses of common brick and I wanted to have the floor even across the two rooms now as one room ...

Thanks. This seems the best way. Do you have a technique for cutting the floorboard on the joist? I guess a conventional saw can't be used? Maybe carefully with a tenon saw?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back