Filler bubbling on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painting the house and in several rooms where I’ve used filler - once sanded down when I come to undercoat the filler is lifting off on the roller ...
could the previous paint be an oil based paint or not? if so is the solution to coat the wall with one of the Zinsser products and if so which or are there any other suggestions as to what it could be ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just to add. Today I removed the old filler in places and keyed the surface and re filled - this evening there are small blisters again on the surface which suggest it’s not going to stick

How old is the filler? is it new, or some old ancient stuff you had in the shed?

Are you spot priming the filler with watered down emulsion first?

How 'deep' are the holes you are filling?

It’s new about a week ago and kept air tight. The walls were all given a mist coat then a normal strength undercoat.
I feel it must be the type of paint that was originally on the wall that’s not letting it stick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back