Filler that doesn't show through paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently posted a topic about filling and painting over to which I had a response regarding red devil onetime filler. If you're reading this, you know who you are and thanks again. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other fillers that don't show through still after being painted over, or is a rule to prime the filler with an oil based undercoat first before coating with emulsion? In my case, matt. If this is not the case, what is?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I often recommend OneTime.

I find that 2 coats of emulsion are normally sufficient. In the event that they are not then apply the first emulsion and then use something like oilbased u/c (and wait til the next day) or use Zinnser BIN (and wait 10minutes).

I have never tried BIN straight over One Time but I have used oil based eggshell directly on small pin holes I omitted to fill during the priming. In those cases 2 coats of eggshell suffice.

There have been a few occasions where 2 matt emulsions over One Time weren't enough, eg when painting purples and some brown emulsions, ie high pigment colours. that said they were awkward paints that had to have cutting in and rolling done simultaneously.

IMHO it is the best all round filler- it costs quite a bit more (than the evil powder fillers) but the dust doesn't cling to everything and wont burn out the motor on your vacuum cleaner.

BIN is available in spray and paint, the latter needs household ammonia to clean the brushes properly but is cheaper. Note that the paint has a limited life of a year or so. It is alcohol based but the smell dissipates very quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back