Filling A Hole Before Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening Guys,

I have what looks to me to be an old style electrical/telephone socket housing in an internal brick wall which I have got a plasterer coming to skim later this week. Could any kind soul out there advise me the best way of filling this hole. I'm not sure if I should be leaving the metal housing in the wall and filling as is, or should I use a hammer and bolster and get rid. If so what is the best technique and material to use to fill in the hole thats left? Any advise or suggestions would be very much appreciated! I have attatched a photo to give you an idea on the size.

Sponsored Links
If it was me,, i'd cut away a half inch or so, of plaster around about it, and carefuly break it out, using a hammer and a "small" chisel. It looks as though there's rust coming through from it anyway. Make "sure" it's dead though whatever it is. Give the resulting hole a good brush out/dampen down, then fill it out flush with hardwall or bonding coat plaster, then leave it for the plasterer to skim over. If it was on an old external brick wall, i'd fill the hole up with a cemnt mortar, rather than a gypsum plaster.

Roughcaster.

I meant the "internal" side of an old external brick wall, for filling up a hole with with mortar, rather than gypsum plaster. :confused:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Roughcaster. I shall do exactly that. You are a gentleman and a scholar sir! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back