Filling hole, before plastering ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I'm new to this forum so don't shout if I do something wrong :rolleyes:

I've got a hole in my wall under the window which is really deep

What I need help with is what do I fill the hole with ?

Do I layer it up with bonding plaster then skim over it, or can i just use multipurpose plaster or is there something else I should be filling the hole with before I start thinking about plaster ?

Thanks for your help, Si

Sponsored Links
I'll give it a go with some render mix as i've already got the materials lol unless theres a benefit of using bonding?

any idea on the ratio of cement to sand, just 1:5 like for brick laying ?

Thanks for your help, Si

I'd give the patch a wet down/pva with a brush, then fill it up with bonding coat. Fill out the deeper bits first, and let it go off a bit,, then bring the whole patch out flush. When the bonding's set, finish it off with multi finish.
The benefit of using bonding coat, or a similar backing plaster, is that you can start and finish the job the same day, because it sets in an hour or two. ;)

Sponsored Links
bonding also has thermal and fire resistant properties that render doesn't have.

you could also add a bit of cement into the first bits of bonding when 'dubbing out' to speed things up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back