filling a hole in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Stupidly I have had an 8inch hole cut into an external cavity wall to take an extractor fan outlet. This wall is a gable end wall in a Glasgow tenement so I've been told by building control that because of this I'm not allowed to vent it that way and it must go out the other, rear wall.

My problem is now that I've got this hole cored through this cavity wall 2 floors up and I don't know how to fill it. I don't fancy trying to cement it up from a ladder on the outside and I have very limited access (8in hole) to the external wall of the cavity wall. I was considering expanding foam for the external part but I'm not sure if that would do the job.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think it will need to be filled properly with brick or stone to match the wall, mortared in.

You will not be abvle to do a proper job from the inside, and theer is a great risk that the brick might fall outwards and hill someone walking below.

I think you are going to have to pay someone willing to get up the wall and build it in for you.

Some would be willing to do it from a ladder though this would not really be a safe way to work.

A hoist would be a lot quicker than scaffolding. Some scaffolders might be able to build a platform out from a window all wall, though it would frighten me. You might ring a few scaffolders and see what they suggest (they don't seem to mind high ladder work).

Thanks for the response.

I should have said that the rendering on this gable wall is bad condition already. There are patches where it is fine but there's also patches where it's come off completely leaving the bricks exposed so I'm thinking that there is not much point in attempting a tidy finish on the outside as the whole wall will need to be rendered at some point (trying to get the factors to do this without any luck but that's another story).

I'm think as long as it's watertight and secure I think that'll do until it get rerendered.

Cheers

Why is it not acceptable to building control? Surely if it extracts, then it is serving the purpose?

I don't know what relevence the tenament issue is, but building control have no authority over landlord issues.

Why not just use the core which you cut out of the back wall and bed that into the gable wall. Or cut a new core out of a single block and bed that in, and render

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure either to be honest. My architect did think it might be a problem when he was putting in the application (doing an internal kitchen) so it isn't a huge surprise.

I don't have the original core but cutting a new core sounds like a good idea. I might try that.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back