Building regs re holes in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on installing a externally vented kitchen hood which will require a 100mm diameter hole for venting.

I would like to put the vent as close as possible to the top corner of the external wall of the kitchen. The external wall is actually a "T" being the corner of my part of the semi.

Does anyone know the rules & regs or general tips to stop your house falling down when punching holes in external walls? The walls are double brick cavity walls.

Would you need a lintel?

Any other tips would be welcomed ;)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You've been watching too many cartoons. Punching a 100mm hole through a wall does not cause the whole house to fall down. Fred Dibner would never have been a celebrity if it were that simple. :)

Basically, you just make the hole by whatever means you have at your disposal. A diamond tipped core drill is the ultimate tool for the job, but rather expensive (even to hire out for the day). Club Hammer and large cold chissel will do it (if you are patient), or a small kango (if you're not). You may want to push through a few holes around the perimiter using a long masonary bit, and then smash out the middle (with one of the afore mentioned methods).

You pays your money and takes your choice. It pays, however, to get the hole fairly neat, (if you can) as it makes it less difficult to make good afterwards. Another tip is to work from the outside. That way the neatest face will be the one that is seen (the cooker hood will hide your handywork on the inside).

Thanks, just being ultra careful, I'll stop watching those cartoons & get back to work :D

Any ideas on how close you can cut into the corner?

250mm (10") seems to ring a bell.

Cheers

Being just a cooker hood flue, you can go as close as you like. I'd suggest at least an inch, just to make life easier.

If you mark the centre of the hole (say 75mm from the corner) and drill through with a nice long (but small diameter) masonary drill, to the outside world, you can use this as a reference point. Make sure you keep the drill perfectly level and parallel to your party wall. You can the attack the wall from outside and inside (rather like they did the channel tunnel) and be confident that the holes are going to meet in the middle.

250mm (10") seems to ring a bell.
And keep away from them dirty videos, you'll go blind :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i drilled a 125 dia hole in my kitchen using a core drill hired for about
£50 for the weekend it was all over in 20 mins the hole that is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back