Weep holes needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to build a detached outbuilding with partial filled cavity walls and blocks on the inner and outer skin. The external blocks will be rendered after. I have read a lot about weep holes but they only seems to be mentioned on cavity walls with brick on the outer skin, which are exposed (not covered by render).

Am I right to assume that block external walls which are covered in render will not need weep holes?

Sponsored Links
Subjective depending on building control opinion last time I came across this. The logic being if it’s rendered it’s more waterproof so less likely to need them. Also depends on what purpose the cavity tray is serving

If you have a DPC, (which you naturally should do), then the rendering can't go down to ground level without bridging the DPC.
When people talk of weep holes, most imagine a small round tube. But you can now get slotted weep holes which nestle between the vertical mortar joints and are quite unobtrusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back