Filling a hole in Wimpy no Fines wall to redrill

I got the dewalt drill in the end, has no problem getting through the wall but it's a big awkward drilling a clean hole due to the nature of the wall. Managed to get the bracket fitted in new holes slightly lower so the hole I made before (it would have been behind the telly and I will fill it when we come to repaint) and the damn bracket doesn't fit fitting on the TV, I only checked on screen size not VESA....pah, numpty:whistle:.

I have ordered a different bracket...

Sponsored Links
there are ways to get a plasplug firm in a loose hole. How loose are they? Sometimes, a smaller drill or a bigger plug will do. Other methods range from very cheap to somewhat expensive. Don't resort to matchsticks.

there are ways to get a plasplug firm in a loose hole. How loose are they? Sometimes, a smaller drill or a bigger plug will do. Other methods range from very cheap to somewhat expensive. Don't resort to matchsticks.

Yea, I used a smaller drill than recommended and it worked well.

Hi guys,

I've just came onto this thread after googling issues with drilling into 'no fines' walls and stumbling upon this forum/thread.

My issue is trying to drill a few holesfor raw plugs for a curtain pole(bloody cat pulled it down). I was pulling what's left of my hair out.. as the hole just kept getting bigger and crumpling all around it.. my drill was not having it at all. I even bought little cement wipes that wrap around the raw plug and set.. but the holes are too large.. I was going to polyfilla the holes and then drill new hole hoping for the best..

After reading this thread, I'm thinking if I should purchase an SDS drill, will that help in drilling the holes or won't it just be the same issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not good at DIY.. but think I may came across this in future with other DIY jobs on this god forsaken no fines house of mine.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
After reading this thread, I'm thinking if I should purchase an SDS drill, will that help in drilling the holes or won't it just be the same issue?
No fines walls are a royal PIA (but then you know that), and even with an SDS the drill can still move slightly out of line when you start drilling, but once started they will generally drill relatively straight and go through the stones with less opening up of the hole than you'll ever get with a mechanical impact drill. I have found that the improved/extra-flute drill bits such as the Bosch 3-flute, deWalt Xtreme 2 4-flute, Hilti 4-flute (picked-up from eBay), etc drill truer holes in no-fines and coarse aggregate concrete, but you may still need to employ tricks such as first drilling a 5.5mm hole when you need a 7mm hole (e.g. for a brown plug), then enlarging if required. Just avoid cheap/no-name SDS bits - not all SDS bits are equal! In the event your hole is still a tad large, you can always glue your plugs into the hole with some GripFil, or similar grip adhesive and leave it to go off overnight - just avoid the non-solvent versions as they are not as effective

In terms of a drill, there are a number of options - it is still possible to pick-up a new no-name SDS on eBay for £45 to £50, like this one (although the cheap SFX one might be a better bit as you have a long window to return it, should it die), FFX (a well-known tool retailer with a good reputation) now sell their own low-cost SDS (Chinese import) for under £60, whilst to get a blue Bosch (i.e. the industrial range, not the DIY range) you'll pay in the £70 to £80 region for a basic model (so not that much more than a hulking great 7kg monster), although personally I'd go up a bit to about the ton mark and get a GBH2-24, which is a far better performer (I've had one, and they do what it says on the can...). Apart from Bosch blue, other good brands include Makita, Hikoki (was Hitachi) and deWalt.

Leave the overweight numb monsters for breaking out brickwork and concrete - a 2kg class (I.e. 2 to 3kg weight) SDS will do most of the work you'll ever need, they all have rotation stop these days (so they'll do concrete and brick chiseling as well as tile removal) and the weight won't kill you. Whatever you buy look for ideally 2J (joules) hammer force and above, and don't get too hung up about the motor wattage (which is much less of a factor with SDS drills) - BTW the Chinese tend to overquote both of these enormously

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Maybe resin is your best bet now, try and bond a rawl plug into the hole?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back