Filling chases to support a heavy load - plaster or cement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've chased out the wall for a shower and have gone a bit wide therefore at present it seems the holes for the fixing brackets to the bar mixer will be driven into whatever I decide to fill the chases with.

The mixer is quite heavy so I'm wondering what to fill the chases with that will take its weight. The holes on the brackets for fixing aren't massive so I think I'll have to use plugs and screws.

The walls will also be tiled before fitting so it can be ugly but it needs to be strong.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
If its going to be tiled fill the holes with sand and cement and just screed it flush with existing wall, let it go off first. I would mix a 4-1 (sand cement) mix quite a dry mix (like a floor screed mix ) that just holds together when you squeeze it ,lightly on the water! Then dampen the chases down with an empty "spray bottle" like you get with detergents and bleach and kitchen cleaners in. Make sure you have washed it out and then put a drop of water in it, and use that to dampen them down. Give the chases a few squirts so the water soaks in but leaves the surface damp. Then with your "semi dry " floor mix trowel the muck in from the bottom upwards but put a bit of pressure on your trowel to get it to adhere to the brick work. Don't try to fill it out in one go aim to get it level with surrounding wall in three goes. When the chases are topped up just get a small piece of wood and bring it up the chases in a "sawing" motion till the muck is level with the wall, Then leave it to dry (Which shouldn't be too long because you have used a "dryish" mix). Then carry on with your setting out everything and it will be ready for tiling over soon. Hope you understand this ;)

it seems the holes for the fixing brackets to the bar mixer will be driven into whatever I decide to fill the chases with.

the screws should be driven into whatever the wall is made of (brick or block or studs) not relying on the plaster or render. Buy some longer screws.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back