Filling gap between mdf window board and window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

any suggestions on the best thing to use to fill the gap with a seamless join, once painted. I've thought about using a strip of mdf or filling the bulk with bonding plaster and finishing with easifill, but don't know if it would crack. Removing the board is not a viable option.

Many thanks

IMG_20160331_185013105.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why is not replacing with a board of the correct dimensions not viable?

Thanks for the reply. I've just had the kitchen plastered, although it isn't a brilliant job tbh. I'm unsure of the tech term (return?), but the board is bedded 20mm into the wall either side. I think that removing the board at this stage would create quite a bit of damage and as it's taken me an age to get to this stage would probably push my missus over the edge. Apart from replacing the board, is there anything you can suggest?

Insert a softwood timber slip, carefully planed to give a snug fit.....even if it's a little higher than the cill board, the corner can be rounded off a little, as a sort of feature.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is possible to remove these boards without destroying the walls even where the board is set into the wall on the left/right. I did loads when renovating a 90's house.

Key thing is to separate the plaster around the board so when you pull it out you don't pull the wall with it. Cutting/splitting the board might be required depending on how it is fixed.

Question would be - if an alternative is less than great would you be happy?

Insert a softwood timber slip, carefully planed to give a snug fit.....even if it's a little higher than the cill board, the corner can be rounded off a little, as a sort of feature.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman, it's something I'll have a think about.

It is possible to remove these boards without destroying the walls even where the board is set into the wall on the left/right. I did loads when renovating a 90's house.

Key thing is to separate the plaster around the board so when you pull it out you don't pull the wall with it. Cutting/splitting the board might be required depending on how it is fixed.

Question would be - if an alternative is less than great would you be happy?

Quick answer is no, unfortunately I'm a perfectionist, and one of the reasons it takes forever for me to get anything to a standard that I like. I think that the best solution is what you're suggesting. However, the window is in front of the kitchen sink. I'd probably have to remove a 2 or 3 inches of plaster either side to allow me to get the angle of the board into position due to the height of the tap.

Tough call. Not ideal either way, I still think I'd put the effort in to replace it. I feel your pain....I too am a perfectionist. Wish I wasn't :)

A perfectionist would rip it out and start again, a tiny amount of plaster damage easily rectified is no reason to bodge a job.

overboard it with something that has deep edge

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to rip it out and replace. Hopefully, it won't cause too much damage. The reveals are all over the place anyway and was thinking of making a window liner. Has anyone else done this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back