Filling gaps in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After battling until 10pm tonight, I have half the main kitchen ceiling boarded. Skill, precision and craftsmanship would mean each board edge sat snugly against its neighbour. Seeing as I possess none of those qualities, I have some gaps between boards. Likely due to my combination of old and new rooms being slightly out of square.

What should I fill the gaps with? Was thinking of bunging some board adhesive in there when I come to dot and dab the walls..... this ok?

Sponsored Links
you can use easifill,one bag should do. if you brush pva into the gaps before easifil it will help hold it.
tape all joins and gaps before skimming

for the other half of your ceiling use T-props. make them from tile laths or similar. theyl make the job much easier.

just read your other post.why not stay on one page?do your dead man things mean T-props?
theres other ways of using temp screwed up to the joists holding ledgers but whatever way you still have to lift the boards unless you use a mechanical lifter.

Assuming the ceilings getting skimmed, tape the gaps first then put bonding or multifinish in, you could use dab like you say if you haven’t got any plaster but if it’s a decent amount i’d get a bag

Sponsored Links
Assuming the ceilings getting skimmed, tape the gaps first then put bonding or multifinish in, you could use dab like you say if you haven’t got any plaster but if it’s a decent amount i’d get a bag
Tape the gaps first? So the tape gets pushed in with the filling agent? I would of course be taping over the filled joint before the skim as with any joint.

You can do either but I tend to tape it before filling it, as the tape doesn’t stick to dried out mix so well

taping before filling is a waste of taping. if the filler is allowed to dry you can run a slick of skim and lay the tape into it just like in drywall taping.

you stick to pva and easifil, I’ll stick to scrim and bonding. Works for me and is pretty standard practice for bigger gaps before skimming

how can scrim tape or rag work if its been allowed to sag into the gap?
packing in scrim as a filler is for somethin else but theres no mention of big gaps in op's Q.
we would use any powder of filler at hand but maybe easifil is best for a diyer

So when I board a ceiling I scrim all the joints and then the bigger gaps I run some skim or bonding in (over the tape) all before skimming. The tape is flat not pushed into the gaps. are you saying that’s wrong and will cause the scrim not to work?

you said you tape the gaps first.
you said you tape it before filling it.

i didnt say any of that.
if you push the filler or skim through the tape you could push the tape into the gap unless the tape is well fixed.but by pushing stuff through the tape youve every chance of loosenin it and pushing it into the gap.
unless youve got lots of time its much easier and a better job to fill first and then tape, it dosnt matter if the filler is wet or dry.

as a matter of intrest, where theres no gaps i just run tape over all ceiling or wall board joins and then skim over . no pre skimming a slick of skim over the tape before doing the field, because its quicker doing the lot in one go.

im sure your a good craftsman but just do stuff different.

Ok fella I take your point, I might try it different but never had any issues before. Thanks for the explanation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back