Filling holes in brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I've never done any work with cement and sand until today. Yesterday I bought coarse sharp sand and general cement from builders depot. That was to refix a patio slab which I've done now. Builders depot recommended coarse sharp sand. I thought they might suggest fine sharp sand or builders sand. But anyway, I've now got a 40kg bag of it to use up. Is coarse sharp sand also ok for pointing bricks? I'm thinking of redoing some of the pointing around the house and filling gaps where it's fallen out.

Today I mixed some up and filled a couple of holes in the front wall of my house, but it's very brown. What should I have done or used to get it lighter and blend in like the repair above mine? It's also got quite a rough texture, not smooth. But I didn't add much water, so it was quite clumpy, but just enough to hold together. Maybe it should have been creamier.
I'm quite happy to smash it out and start again.

The hole

20200804_165928.jpg

The hole and one below it filled in.

20200806_203249.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sharp sand in mortar will always give you that rough gritty finish- some people like it. It'll get a bit lighter once its gone off.
Building sand tends to be a bit paler, get one of those £2 bags from Wickes or wherever & try a wee mix. And yes you want it a bit creamy otherwise it won't go off properly

Sharp sand in mortar will always give you that rough gritty finish- some people like it. It'll get a bit lighter once its gone off.
Building sand tends to be a bit paler, get one of those £2 bags from Wickes or wherever & try a wee mix. And yes you want it a bit creamy otherwise it won't go off properly

Thanks oldbutnotdead. Alright then I'll get some builders sand because I prefer paler and less gritty.

Sponsored Links
It will become much paler, as it dries out.

Thanks, good to know. Wickes have got three builders sand products by a company called Tarmac. Yellow builders sand, grey builders sand and just builders sand. The photos all look the same colour. Any particular one I should buy?

Edit: B&Q reviews on Tarmac builders sand are bad, many reviews saying it's full of stones and grit. I'll pop up to my B&Q and have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back