sharp sand in mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builder's sand I got from Bradfords seems quite coarse; I've used it to lay some 7N blocks, and although it doesn't feel as workable as finer sands I've used (quite a coarse surface and a few small stones) it all seems to go off OK.
Is there fundamentally a problem with using sharp sand for brick/block bonding?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean but is it actually sharp sand or very coarse building sand. I do alot of sub contract bricklaying for a national house builder and the sand they supply is sometimes very coarse to work with .
(would say its also the cheapest) but you will find it sets just the same only workability suffers

Sponsored Links
mikric, noseall - thanks for the replies and I think you're right Mikric; yes, its coarse builders sand (having compared it to some Wickes builders sand). Feel a bit foolish but my paranoia got the better of me yesterday as it does every so often, making me ask daft questions. Must have been the sun ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back