Filling in a 5" diameter hole and redrilling a 6"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hoping someone may be able to help.

I have a 5" diameter round hole in a double brick exterior wall in my second floor flat, I am looking at installing a 6" diameter fan in the same position.

Due to access limitations Id like to be able to do all the work from the inside of the property.

Id like to fill the 5" hole up and then core out a new hole with a 6" drill bit

Does anyone know of a suitable product to fill the hole up that can take the force of the drilling for the pilot hole for the core drill would normal cement be appropriate or something such as hydraulic cement

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
we use a 4" core bit in a 5" core bit to do a similar thing using the smaller to guide and the larger to cut

we use a 4" core bit in a 5" core bit to do a similar thing using the smaller to guide and the larger to cut

Kevin - Im trying to work out in my head the configuration do I need a very long thread on the arbor to go through both the 5" and 6" bits

Thanks if you can help

Sponsored Links
no just the larger threaded and smaller dropped in over the guide bar. it usually holds in place, if it doesnt just pack it with something, beer towels are good. once the larger hole is started remove the smaller bit.

no just the larger threaded and smaller dropped in over the guide bar. it usually holds in place, if it doesnt just pack it with something, beer towels are good. once the larger hole is started remove the smaller bit.

Thanks kevin, Ill give this a go when I borrow my mates drill. Appreciate your replies

Finally got round to doing this job and your technique worked a treat:

Used the 5" and wrapped some old rags round it and slotted inside the 6" bit so it wouldnt move and got the hole started and then could take the 5" off and finish the job

Just to say again thanks for the help with this job! Even my mate was surprised it worked!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back