Filling in a hole adjacent to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
When I moved into my house which has an adjoining garage, the back garden patio area has steps down (approx 1.5m deep overall) immediately to the rear of the house to a doorway that leads into the garage. I later bricked up the doorway into the garage and installed decking over the hole left by the stairway. This levelled the patio overall and gave more space. I then got the garage wall rendered and installed french doors. (see pics). This was about 6 years ago.

Now I'd like to remove the decking, fill the hole and slab the whole patio. My question is around how to treat the walls of the house/garage (currently exposed in the old 1.5m deep stairwell) that will become 'below ground' once I fill the hole - they are not engineering bricks just facing bricks. I'm thinking of painting on a bitumen product onto the facing bricks then building a small retaining wall in front in engineering bricks with a damp proof membrane lapped behind it against the house/garage walls? Then filling in the hole with earth and slabbing over the top.

Is that the right way to go to avoid future problems?

Any help/advice you can provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
View media item 93523 View media item 93524 View media item 93525

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back