Filling in a large gap !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Have not done a lot to my house because of work lately but have a little spare time and wondered if someone could give me a little advice please :D

Ok i have removed a stud wall that was put up and plastered about 12 months ago for family reasons splitting the living room into two rooms.
I now have a nice strip of part plaster board and part rendered of about 30 - 50cm wide and say 12ft on the ceiling and the height of the room on one wall.

So the question ??
Have looked at the tubs in BandQ etc of plaster finish, filler etc etc as i'm looking at doing it myself, i have right angle to work to (not internal) so can get it nice and smooth :confused: i hope
Is this a good idea and if i do stuff it up can it be patched up by a proffesional ;)

As it's only a thinish strip was hoping to do it myself and sand it nice and flat if needed fingers crossed, would it be better with a block of wood, 1/3 sheet sander or belt sander ??
Also what tub of mix would you recommend or is it better to get a bag of multi finish ??

Hope that all made sense lol

Martin

Sponsored Links
If your unsure,I would get a tradesman in to do it . It wouldn't be a big job for a plasterer to do, and he would do it in no time, plus he would have all the materials needed. You wouldn't want to see a patch on the ceiling and wall, in the middle of the room..... No disrespect to you though...... I think a belt sander on a plasterboard wall would be a bit fierce ???..... I would use a hand sander/pole, or block of wood. ;)

Roughcaster.

Cheers Roughcaster

I understand what you mean about wanting a good finish in my living room.
I think i will give it a go though ( i know i know famous last words :eek: ) worse comes to the worst i'll get someone in to fix it.
Will use a block of wood then to finish.

Thanks for getting back to me :D

Martin

Sponsored Links
it will make an enormous amount of dust

I prefer a wide metal scraper while it is still cheesy.

If you have anything to sand or scrape off, it means you put too much on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back