Filling in an air brick space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating a room where I have taken out the airbrick.This gives me a space of about 8 inch square.How do I fill this so I get a nice smoothe finish that I can seemlessly join with the rest of the room to paint over?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am redecorating a room where I have taken out the airbrick.This gives me a space of about 8 inch square.How do I fill this so I get a nice smoothe finish that I can seemlessly join with the rest of the room to paint over?
Thanks

Just buy one bag of multi finish and a couple of bricks. Brick the hole up with the bricks using a small mix of the multi as a mortar; make sure that your work does not bridge the cavity or it will pull moisture. With the left over mix smooth the surface; use plenty of water on the surface to soften and mould it until it is perfect. You will need a plastering trowel. that's it.

Nick

This is the best way Jim,
Trim a couple of inches of the old plaster from all around the hole where the air vent was. This gives you an even plane all around the hole. Get the two bricks ready, and mix a little sand and cement mortar/plasticiser. Give the hole/square a clean/wet down all around using a wet brush (not overwet). Bed the bricks into the mortar, keeping the face of the bricks level with the "original brick" surface. Let it set, then the following day, coat the patch out to within a ml or two of the "existing plaster", using mortar/render, or bonding coat/undercoat plaster, if you have some. Finish the patch out to flush with multi finish when backing coat has set.

Roughcaster.

Trim a couple of inches of the old plaster from all around the hole where the air vent was. This gives you an even plane all around the hole. Get the two bricks ready, and mix a little sand and cement mortar/plasticiser. Give the hole/square a clean/wet down all around using a wet brush (not overwet). Bed the bricks into the mortar, keeping the face of the bricks level with the "original brick" surface. Let it set, then the following day, coat the patch out to within a ml or two of the "existing plaster", using mortar/render, or bonding coat/undercoat plaster, if you have some. Finish the patch out to flush with multi finish when backing coat has set.

Roughcaster.

and that "jim" is how to properly reconstitute the brick and plasterwork on removal of your brick vent ;)

Sponsored Links
Easier to use selcon block than brick. Cut it with an old saw.

Roughcaster.

and that "jim" is how to properly reconstitute the brick and plasterwork on removal of your brick vent ;)

Effort, time and cost!

It's a little hole in the wall; my way will take about 10% of the effort and cost, and produce the same result.

Nick

Roughcaster.

My way takes 2 hours and costs £4. How long does yours take? and how much does it cost? remember that this guy has no part bags of materials lying around... probably!

Your way is text book... agreed, but my way is pragmatic.

Nick

Roughcaster.

My way takes 2 hours and costs £4. How long does yours take? and how much does it cost? remember that this guy has no part bags of materials lying around... probably!

Your way is text book... agreed, but my way is pragmatic.

Nick
:LOL: agreed nick! but this is diynot and there is tooo many good folks in this forum ready to pounce on you for giving incomplete or labour saving/ cost cutting advice :rolleyes:

Now,now lads no arguing!. :LOL: Thanks for the quick replies.I considered filling with concrete then a cut out bit of plasterboard held in with screws.Then leveling with plaster.As you can tell I dont have a clue!

Now,now lads no arguing!. :LOL: Thanks for the quick replies.I considered filling with concrete then a cut out bit of plasterboard held in with screws.Then leveling with plaster.As you can tell I dont have a clue!
-
Jim

I seem to find myself ending each forum with the same closing comment: - just listen to my advice.

Work is picking up and I will not have time for these forums much longer. While I am here, listen to the cream.

Sorry guys, I am very big-headed.

Dr. Nick

PS

Roughcaster and alastair know how.. I How why!

In most wars, everyone is right, it's just a matter of perspective.
:D
and after the war peace reigned throughout the land. ;)

good to hear the works picking up nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back