Filling in big gap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
right well Ive been decorating the living fot the last week,
Wallpapered most off it and Ive ordered the new carpet and fireplace .
I took the old fire place out and theres a some gaps as the new one is slimmer than the old one.

What would be the best way till fill it in?
Ive got some mortor mix, would that be ok to fill most of it then would I have to render it or could I use polycel? as i have some lying around.
I'm only going to wallpaper over it anyway.[/img]

Sponsored Links
02092009008.jpg

its like that on both sides of the fireplace and behind the fireplace.
sorry about the basd pic.

Sponsored Links
I'm tempted to say bonding coat,,,, but for this one, onto old stonework, i'd go for cement render, finished off with multi finish plaster (pink). Don't use Polycell. Before you start to fill in, take a small bolster/chisel, and carefuly trim/chip away an inch or so of the edges of the original plaster, (both sides of the surround),, to remove any bits that might be proud/flicking out,, which will ruin the join between new and old plaster. when you ready, give the stonework a damp down before you start plastering,, and give the old plaster edges a brush over with a drop of PVA. I shouldn't need to say really, but be careful not to damage the fireplace or the skirting when chiselling/hammering.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back