Filling in hollow concrete walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm having my house rewired, ready for a new kitchen to go in.

During the process we have had some backboxes removed where sockets are being removed.

During the original installation of these boxes, it appears that the installer has gone right through into the hollow of the blocks. What is the best material to fill these up with before plastering?

Should I use cement + sand mix to fill in the void before plastering, or is there a more suitable material? Its been mentioned that I could try expanding foam, which I've used before, but i'm not certain the plaster will appreciate it.

Best Wishes

Conoral11

Attachments

• IMG_20170315_162753619.jpg
    IMG_20170315_162753619.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
You don't need to fill it all the way to the back as long as it's strong enough. Are you going to tile the wall? Might be easier to just cut some plasterboard to size and stick it round the edge.

John D,

Thanks for the reply.

We won't be tilling unfortunately, so would you think a bit of plasterboard, possibly glued via grab adhesive, or with wooden battens behind it be strong enough?

Best wishes

Conoral11

Sponsored Links
Probably best not to put wood in an unventilated space, but you can even pack it out with plastic bags, just anything as a backer to support the adhesive until it dries. And don't try to attach any heavy shelves to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back