Filling a gap between front door and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large gap between where the front door has been installed and the brick work in front of it. From the picture (apologies on the sideways shot) can be seen a bit of filling plaster that just about remains. Clearly overtime the house has shifted and slowly this stuff has fallen out.

So couple of questions:
1) would you fill this gap with some sort of expanding foam that allows for a bit of movement? If so could anyone let me know of the name to ask for- if not how would you fill the void.
2) once filled, what is the plaster type stuff called? Is this the same material used for pointing?

Many thanks,

Delfi (beginning a v. Long journey into DIY :) )

Sponsored Links
Is that the side of the doorframe or the top? How solid is the door/wall (as in if you shut the door firmly does the whole wall shake)?

The neatest way to fill the gap would be to repoint it with mortar. But if the door/wall rattle when you close the door then it won't stay pretty for long.

The quick and dirty way would be a can of expanding foam http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p27912 other suppliers are available and then some PVC window trim to cover the gap (stick it on with silicon http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p73415 )

The photo should be rotated 90deg clockwise to vertical- so you would see a very solid wall , half inch gap, fairly solid door. It doesn't wiggle a lot, but as with any wood will move, and presumably expan contract wth heat. I would have thought this is a relatively normal issue in joining to differing media.

Perhaps foam, followed by mortar, followed by some sort of flexible silicon along the edge of mortar and doorframe?

Thanks again for your pointer.

Sponsored Links
If its the side of the door I wouldn't bother with the mortar- it isn't doing anything structural so you don't need a strong filler.

So expanding foam to fill the gap (and it will provide support for the frame as well). When it has cured, trim it off flat and then camouflage somehow- I'd love to say paint it the same colour as the pointing but that would be a real faff. Ah, wooden door you say- so some 30mm x 10mm strips nailed to the sides and above the door (nice mitre joints of course) to overlap the gap then silicon between the wood and the brickwork. Coat of paint and it'll be lovely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back