Gap in bathroom between floor and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’ve got a wall in my kitchen that has been experiencing signs of damp for a while at the top (see pictured). Directly above this is the bath. I’ve removed the front panel and discovered a gap between the floor tiles and the wall. The wall itself is also bare and exposed!

I just wanted to pick peoples brains as to what they’d do to seal this gap please. My first thought was some sort of PVC skirting, or perhaps even just filling the gap with expanding foam. It’s not a problem I’ve ever faced before!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• iOS Image - 1530276214.jpg
    iOS Image - 1530276214.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 118
  • iOS Image - 2755515011.jpg
    iOS Image - 2755515011.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
I should add there’s no signs of a leak from the bath, so it must have either had water run down the side of the bath, or just have happened over time from shower steam?

The tiles under the bath look to have water marks.

It's worth checking that there is no water leaking past the taps, through the seal between the wall and the bath, the overflow etc. etc

Before sealing the wall/floor you need to eliminate the source of the water.

Tin foil dishes from supermarket meals (or disposable foil roasting dishes) can help
Shove them under the bath and add some scrunched up toilet paper.

The foil catches and segments the water plus the toilet tissue changes when wet so you can see even tiny amounts

Sponsored Links
Tin foil dishes from supermarket meals (or disposable foil roasting dishes) can help
Shove them under the bath and add some scrunched up toilet paper.

The foil catches and segments the water plus the toilet tissue changes when wet so you can see even tiny amounts
That is a great idea!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back