Gap between plasterboard and floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've left about 1cm gap between the floorboards and the plasterboard on my new stud wall but should I have left the gap between the plasterboard and the flooring I have on top of the floorboards?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your post doesn't really make sense but you put skirting on anyway so what the heck.

Sorry - just realised it's a bit confusing.
I've put the stud wall directly down on the floorboards and left a cm gap between the bottom of the plasterboard and floorboards.
However I still need to put down a wood floor on top of the floorboards which means the gap will be covered by the actual floor.

Should I have allowed for the cm gap to be above the actual floor level rather than the floorboards?

Yes. I'd cut back the board a bit and get your floor right under. Doesn't matter if it's a bit rough as skirting will hide it.

Sponsored Links
Don't understand why you'd bother to run the overlay (presumably you're talking about a laminate-type flooring going down later?) under the pb. Why not just butt the laminate up to the pb, and then cover the 'join' with the sb?

The wall sheets should at least overlap the bottom plate of the framework, so they're supported along the bottom edge, otherwise they could deflect, and your tiles could fall off. There should also be an angle/flashing attached to the studwork and floor before the sheets are installed, as an extra water barrier. If it's well supported, then you could just put a narrow strip of gyprock in there and plaster the joint with tape and base coat only. You shouldn't use top coat because you should apply a waterproof membrane to the floor, and up the walls slightly, before attaching your tiles, and a membrane won't stick to top coat very well.

Don't understand why you'd bother to run the overlay (presumably you're talking about a laminate-type flooring going down later?) under the pb. Why not just butt the laminate up to the pb, and then cover the 'join' with the sb?

If I can butt the laminate up to the pb that's fine just wanted to make sure I didn't need a gap between the top of the laminate and pb even if the laminate doesn't go under the pb.

If I can butt the laminate up to the pb that's fine just wanted to make sure I didn't need a gap between the top of the laminate and pb even if the laminate doesn't go under the pb.

You need an expansion gap between the laminate and the wall - do not butt it up. If you have no expansion gap, the laminate may "bubble up" in the middle under hot and/or damp conditions.

I'd cut the laminate in under the plasterboard if you have the opportunity since you are less likely to see the laminate edges showing from under the skirting if the floor shifts a bit.
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back