plasterboard ceiling-wall gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new plasterboard ceiling and since one of the walls was not straight there is a 15-20mm gap between the board and the wall. I need to seal the perimeter of the ceiling with acoustic mastic so I think it should be no more than 10mm gap.

I was thinking to use a plasterboard corner or edging strip to extent the board towards the wall and fill it in with plasterboard filler.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Why was the plasterboard not cut to fit the wall?

It was my first plasterboard installation so I have done a mistake. Now I am looking for a solution to fix it.

I also thinking to cover gradually the gap underneath with jointing tape and fill the gap with the mastic. I am not sure how well will hold?

PS: I am getting a professional to finish the skimming of the ceiling...

Cut a strip of plasterboard and stick it on top of the last board to cover the gap. Then either cut a slither of board and stick it in the gap, or put some mesh scrim across the gap, and the plasterer will fill it with skim plaster. Use something like no nails for sticking the boards

Sponsored Links
It was my first plasterboard installation so I have done a mistake. Now I am looking for a solution to fix it.

I also thinking to cover gradually the gap underneath with jointing tape and fill the gap with the mastic. I am not sure how well will hold?

PS: I am getting a professional to finish the skimming of the ceiling...

It sounds like a professional bodge job :LOL:

Is it just the one board? Did you use plasterboard screws? If so get a piece of timber a good 6" wide or similar and following the wall mark the board take down and cut it to fit the wall the make good the 6" gap you have left between the boards, that's how I would probably make good, without seeing it, however I'm not a fulltime spread so there may be other options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back