Plasterboard and filling gap between wall and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with my ceiling?

I've taken down a ceiling from my hallway and put plasterboard up (with down lighters uggh!). The plasterboard has been screwed directly to the joists as height is an issue - it has gone on fairly flat.

However, the joists have been placed on small blocks that are placed on the top of the brickwork leaving a small gap between the top of the wall and the plasterboard above.

The question is, how to fill this gap so it can be plastered? Some of the ceiling will have coving but some cannot as the doorways are in the way.

I did think of getting some mesh, bending it at right angles and fixing it to the wall such that the bend came level with the board. Another idea was expanding foam but I think that is a non-starter.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
can't you just put noggings either side of the beams, set in, and cut ply panels to fill the gap's ?.

The gaps is about 30mm.

I had thought of another idea - remove some render off the wall below the ceiling and then fix plasterboard strips to the wall such that it comes up to the ceiling line. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

Sponsored Links
tobybuk said:
The gaps is about 30mm.

I had thought of another idea - remove some render off the wall below the ceiling and then fix plasterboard strips to the wall such that it comes up to the ceiling line. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.

the plasterboard strip thing makes sense so long as the surrounding plaster is fairly thick. if this is an option, i would cut the plasterboard strips a minimum of 150mm wide and dab them into place with bonding compound. make sure you wet the walls.

if the surrounding plaster is not so thick, you could always buy a roll of expanded metal. fix it with galvanized nails and plaster onto this. again, a minimum of 150mm thickness should suffice.

Thanks for the reply noseall.

I'm going home soon so I'll crack open a beer, get a spade to lean on and have a good ponder over it! At lease I know I'm thinking on the right lines now.

Many thanks.

You say the gap is 30mm, just over an inch.

Dont be hacking render off and messing about with plaster board.

What is wrong with filling the gap up with bonding and skimming the area's that are not going to be covered by coving ?

Or am i missing something here ?

i personaly would have raised the boards to the ceiling and fixed the gap at the skirting as that would be much easier ;)

big-all said:
i personaly would have raised the boards to the ceiling and fixed the gap at the skirting as that would be much easier ;)

I think it's the ceiling he has re-boarded.

Aqua said:
big-all said:

I think it's the ceiling he has re-boarded.

yep your right :D :D :D should read it properly :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back