Filling in missing laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

As per title, removed and boarded out a fireplace
Now I have to fill in missing patch of flooring.
I do have about 3 laminate planks left that I found in the loft but not too sure how to make it work.
Laminate in engineered wood with tongue and groove.
Any advise is appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20231027_204154274.jpg
    PXL_20231027_204154274.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Should be possible.
you may need to remove some of the new plaster or even brickwork and make good after.

you’ll need to be able to slide new planks from the wall towards the room.
a double L tool will allow you to pull the planks close, or a ratchet strap.

Assuming that the T&G works in your favour.

Sponsored Links
Yeah,same flooring

Depends how seamless you want the repair, if you have enough boards you can trim to size, trim off the headers and PVA the headers to the existing planks, you'll need to glue in the last piece completely. The repair won't be full length planks but will fill the gap.

Depends how seamless you want the repair, if you have enough boards you can trim to size, trim off the headers and PVA the headers to the existing planks, you'll need to glue in the last piece completely. The repair won't be full length planks but will fill the gap.
I think thats what i might go with. Will see if i can stagger the joints a little so it doesnt look like a straight line but gonna have a look at how much length of spare boards i have first.

Im thinking of making a lip on the ends without t&g and glueing them together

Sorry, but... square cuts will continue to crack, regardless of the glue used.

@Tigercubrider is correct that to may be able to tap other boards up from the far end. if the skirting was fitted after the skirting, you will need to remove the skirting or the molding used to hide the expansion gap.

I would start by removing the centre shortest board by sliding towards wall. Then remove adjacent boards same way. When replacing the last board will need the base lip cut away on one edge and then you can glue it in place .

Sorry, but... square cuts will continue to crack, regardless of the glue used.

@Tigercubrider is correct that to may be able to tap other boards up from the far end. if the skirting was fitted after the skirting, you will need to remove the skirting or the molding used to hide the expansion gap.
I would start by removing the centre shortest board by sliding towards wall. Then remove adjacent boards same way. When replacing the last board will need the base lip cut away on one edge and then you can glue it in place .
It feels impossible to slide any of the boards at all, even the shortest one will not budge.

However, i just managed to get one out quite roughly and found that the joints have been glued up when fitted. That's going to make it much "easier"...

Got so many cans of worms open, not got space for more hahah

You will have to split boards along centre line if they are glued to remove, but will make job very difficult .

Ladies and gents, I have figured it out.

Luckily I managed to break the glue bond by tapping a spatula into the joints and then using bit of wood against the spatula to slide the board out.

From the picture shown, boards with "x" are ones i removed and will re use in relevant places as they pretty much perfectly fit without having to cut to length.

The right most board will get cut and the bit marked with "l" will go into the the floor marked with "l".
The other two will be cut, giving me the most usable spare length left.

Not i just need to lay down some underlay, tidy the boards up and fit it all.

Once complete, I will update how it looks.

Thanks all for advise!

Edit: I should also mention that I will most likely have to cut a lip of a groove on one of the boards and glue two boards together to finish fitting..

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_194320797.jpg
    PXL_20231030_194320797.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 26

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back