Filling in pond - to compact or not to compact?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of filling in a fairly large pond. I am about to take delivery of several bags of MOT1 to fill the hole. On top of that, I will put a layer of topsoil and then, in spring, grass seed.

Should I use a compactor on the MOT1? The surface won't ever have anything heavy, and I want the drainage to be good. However, I expect things will settle over time and I don't want to be continually filling it in.

Anyone else done this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Mot doesn't drain well.

You'd be much better off filling it with rubble/clean stone that will drain perfectly and not settle. However it may drain too quick for grass so you'd need a good depth of soil, about a foot probably.

So fill it up and then when a foot from the top put some geotxtile mebrane over it all and then your soil.

Thanks r896neo. Sadly I have already bought the MOT1 but I've seen drainage tips on the net to help. I'll make sure there's a good level of soil on top though.

Sponsored Links
ok, the best thing to do would be to have a few bit of land drain pipe in there and maybe create a few channels of free draining material around the edges and one in the middle if its wide.

Oh and further to your original post you will need to compact it but sadly this will not help the drainage. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back