Filling hole after removing pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pond in our garden. Didn't really want it but it was there when we moved in last year. I've since drained the pond (hammered some holes using long screwdriver + hammer) and removed the vegetation.

I plan to remove the surrounding slabs and lift out the pond base. This is going to leave a hole that I would need to fill. I would then want to cover the area with grass to match the rest of the lawn.

What's the best way to proceed? What can or should I use to fill the hole?

Sponsored Links
How deep is it? Some rubble and then sub soil and then 6" of topsoil would be good.

Be sure to thoroughly destroy the base, poking a few holes does not sound like enough.

I poked holes to drain the pond. I will be removing the pond base before doing anything else. If I can lift it out, I will. Otherwise I'll try smashing it up first.

The pond is at most 2ft deep. I didn't know whether I should use rocks/gravel/sand before filling with soil, or whether I should just fill with soil.

Yes rubble in the bottom is worthwhile just to let it drain better particularly I your on poor draining ground. If its free draining then soil will do.

Be sure to try and use sub soil, ideally unscreened so it has stones etc in it. Or at least use unscreened topsoil I you cant get subsoil. This will compact better and settle less.

Filling a deep area of screened topsoil will end up quite swampy and squidgy for a year

Sponsored Links
We filled ours with rubble and sand, then threw a load of topsoil on for the top half foot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back