Extending decking to cover a pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The garden in the property that I am looking to buy is almost 100% decked. It does look quite nice and there is a pond in the middle of the garden (around 9' square and 2.5' deep).

At my request, the current owners will drain the pond when they vacate the property.

That will leave me with a large hole to fill.

What is the best thing to do to replace the pond? Should I extend the decking to cover the ex-pond? If I do then the decking won't match the rest of the garden. Should I convert the pond into a rockery?

Basically i'm looking for the simplest solution. The current decking is straight lengths. I know you can get small decking squares so this may create a nice chequerboard design in the middle of the garden.

Sponsored Links
Are you removing the pond due to small children? As I have a pond in a decked area and I have place a sheet of Road Mesh on top of the decking. Now it's totally safe and it can even take my weight! We do have small children running around.

Andy

I would be inclined to deck over it, maybe putting the new boarda at 45 deg to the original in some pattern or other. Given two seasons it will all look the same.

Or, make a shrub bed out of it.

Are you removing the pond due to small children? As I have a pond in a decked area and I have place a sheet of Road Mesh on top of the decking. Now it's totally safe and it can even take my weight! We do have small children running around.

Andy

I've asked the current owners to clear and remove the pond as I don't want a pond (I simply can't spare the time and effort to look after a pond and the fish in it).

I'm leaning more towards covering it with more decorative decking rather than attempting to extend the existing decking to cover the pond.

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to deck over it, maybe putting the new boarda at 45 deg to the original in some pattern or other. Given two seasons it will all look the same.

Or, make a shrub bed out of it.

I've seen some decking 'tiles' that Wickes do and these would form a nice pattern over where the pond was. It might be an option.

you say nearly the whole garden is covered
if you cover greater than half the total garden area for the house with buildings and decking [this includes house extensions garden buildings ]you need planning permission

^ It's not decking that I put in. It's the current owners. Could I be liable to remove it if planning permission was not sought?

^ It's not decking that I put in. It's the current owners. Could I be liable to remove it if planning permission was not sought?

three points here

the decking may be fully legal who knows

iff the decking has planning then the alteration will need its own planning as it increases the area

the decking may be exempt at the minute as it only covers 49.5% off the garden but the alterations take it over the 50% mark

iff its been up for years it may have been before the new rules came into effect but the alteration will require planning if its more than 50% off original garden area or greater than 300mm above the highest natural point it covers

theres a fair chance no one will bother iff its years old who knows can you take the risk??

OOI, how does anyone think there are two Fs in the word if?! :eek:

being an illiterate trying to better my self i try not to use spell checks
my skills are in helping iff i make the odd mistake its for your inner self not mine i only try to help others so if your small minded enough to pick up small mistakes good luck to you and your ego :LOL: :LOL:

I just thought it was "interesting" that it is the word IF that causes so much trouble. I didnt mean any offence.

Why not make the gap into a raised flowerbed in a matching deck style?

One focal point for another - even if you are that lazy that looking after a flowerbed fills you with the same horror that a fishpond does, you could do a gravel & posh grass job that needs little love.

I just thought it was "interesting" that it is the word IF that causes so much trouble. I didnt mean any offence.

i dont take offence so don't worry :D :D ;)

some words get the better of [off/]me like shure[sure] neighbour [got that one correct at last :D ] cion tion sion [making the same sound]here hear hare there their they are
you know where i am coming from i hope :LOL: :LOL:

i dont take offence so don't worry :D :D ;)

some words get the better of [off/]me like shure[sure] neighbour [got that one correct at last :D ] cion tion sion [making the same sound]here hear hare there their they are
you know where i am coming from i hope :LOL: :LOL:

cool. peace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back