First Decking Build ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to construct my first decking build to the rear of my property.
The shape will not be regular, due to a recent angular kitchen extension protruding into the garden by some 2 metres to one side.
There is a concrete pathway approximately 1 metre wide next to the house and extension, an area I have planned to fix concrete surface metposts on, in order to take the first support posts, running as close to the house as possible.
The decking will be running the full length of the rear area, that is just short of 6 metres up to the extension, and just over 3 metres of the actual extension, some 9 metres in all. The projected decking will be approximately 3 metres from the property, but not a straight line, due to fixed obstacles, such as a sunken pathway leading away from the house and a small pond some 2 metres from the rear wall.
The garden does drop away from the house, but not steeply, just gradually, excluding the sunken path. The pond cannot be moved, this has been discussed at great length and is a bridge too far in the context of the garden design.
The first problem arises from the fact that the decking will only be approximately 30cm from the ground initially, that is next to the house, and will be maintaining that height, within reason, to it's full extent. With this in mind, and the fact that I will be fitting these metposts on the concrete... what construction will be required for the build? Do I use a form that dispenses with the need for bearers, as these would not fit into a 30cm high construct. What exactly is the best way of tackling this project, because all information I have gathered to date does not cover builds of the height I require.
Pardon my ignorance, but I am under a little pressure to complete this work before the winter sets in.
I believe that the posts away from the house will have to be set in concrete. That is okay for some, but will it be okay to use metposts where the space is too tight to dig and fill with a supporting mix?
Any suggestions and/or tips would be really welcome, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Youve also got to watch size, how much of your garden the deck will cover & if youve already used up your personal development rights with an extension, you may need PP; the link explains all. ;)

Sponsored Links
Youve also got to watch size, how much of your garden the deck will cover & if youve already used up your personal development rights with an extension, you may need PP; the link explains all. ;)

Have been thrashing this out through the local planning department. The 30 cm height is, as I previously understood, the maximum allowed for the construction, notwithstanding the fact that there might be a few areas which might exceed this limit, but then it is merely a matter of levelling these off beforehand.
The question of exceeding 'personal development rights' only arises in greenbelt areas. I live in a rural area, so this problem does not exist.
The main cause of any concern, it would appear, is where privacy might be deemed to be invaded. With a 30cm build this very rarely affects this situation, although it has been known to. Generally speaking, as in cases where a reasonably high boundary fence became less high, it is a matter of replacing the fencing with proportionally higher equivalents ......
Looks as though the pupil has become the teacher here ......... ;)

I am not totally sure of your questions, but I will try......

You dont need bearers at all - all they do is alleviate the need for so many posts.

Dont use metposts at all - if you can dig a hold for them you can dig a hole for the posts.

Plenty of guidance on here for deck building - although I keep meaning to write a sticky - but do come back with specific questions as required.

Have been thrashing this out through the local planning department. The 30 cm height is, as I previously understood, the maximum allowed for the construction, notwithstanding the fact that there might be a few areas which might exceed this limit, but then it is merely a matter of levelling these off beforehand.
The question of exceeding 'personal development rights' only arises in greenbelt areas. I live in a rural area, so this problem does not exist.
The main cause of any concern, it would appear, is where privacy might be deemed to be invaded. With a 30cm build this very rarely affects this situation, although it has been known to. Generally speaking, as in cases where a reasonably high boundary fence became less high, it is a matter of replacing the fencing with proportionally higher equivalents ......
Looks as though the pupil has become the teacher here ......... ;)
Yea, we bow to your fountain of knowledge! :rolleyes:

what's the point of asking a question with the id of "let it be known", only to go on and shoot down prospective helpers with your further knowledge ... not a good way to introduce yourself IMO !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back