Setting deck posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am building a deck and was intending to set the support posts in concrete but have been advised by the timber merchant I bought the wood from that I should use spiked metposts as it's easier.
I'm not convinced these would give enough support.

Anyone used these on a deck?

Sponsored Links
Go for wood and postcrete,those spike can just about hold a small fence up but I doubt they'll survive people walking on them

yes, definitely concrete them in. I've tried the post holders and they are easier to use but don't give the same end result.

Also, put some chippings down in the hole for the post to sit on first before you throw the concrete in - this lessens the chance of the post being in constant damp at the bottom of the hole. I also give my posts a good a couple of coats of bitumen paint to lessen the water ingress when the posts are in-situ inside the concrete.

Sponsored Links
Don't foret you dont need to set all the posts in concrete - should save you some cash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back