Filling in serving hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to fill in a small serving hatch (about 800x450) in a solid wall that is plastered. My thoughts are to fit a wooden frame and cover with plaster board each side.
My question is what depth should I leave for the plaster.
Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

Sponsored Links
I intend to fill in a small serving hatch (about 800x450) in a solid wall that is plastered. My thoughts are to fit a wooden frame and cover with plaster board each side.
My question is what depth should I leave for the plaster.
Any advice would be appreciated

Regards
leave 10-11 mm for the undercoat and 2mm for the skim so a total of 12-13mm would be ok

Also,, remove 2 or 3 inches of old plaster, all around the perimeter of the hatch (on both sides), so you can scrim/tape the joints between the old brickwork and the new plasterboard,,,, you're tying in the new to the old, reducing the risk of cracking.

Sponsored Links
As the lads above say but you can bring your plaster board to about 3mm below the existing wall and hack the existing wall all around the edges back about 3 inches to the same level as the plaster board and before you skim unibond it making sure you over lap the joint by 2 inches either side and tape it and put a thin skim of plaster over it (use 4 inch scrim tape) and then skim it as normal (2 coats) over the whole lot and feather the joint in ...Jobs a good un!! ;)

as the lads said before hen you have preped for the plastering you can mix bonding with muilti/board finish 50/50 mix then just hit it let it pall rule it off filling dips then trowle up sorted thats what i do it works for me

as the lads said before hen you have preped for the plastering you can mix bonding with muilti/board finish 50/50 mix then just hit it let it pall rule it off filling dips then trowle up sorted thats what i do it works for me

Finish in the bonding reduces blistering too! I often use finish /bonding miixed. even a couple of handfuls of finish in a bucketful makes it nicer for skimming .

But why not build the infill so that the boards just need a 3mm skim, rather than having to bond and set?

Micilin";p="1675586 said:

Finish in the bonding reduces blistering too! I often use finish /bonding miixed. even a couple of handfuls of finish in a bucketful makes it nicer for skimming .

(But why not build the infill so that the boards just need a 3mm skim, rather than having to bond and set?)

What I said above mucka

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back