New loft hole / hatch before reskimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could offer me some advice please?

I am making a new loft hole and hatch in one of my bedrooms (the old one was in the bathroom). The ceiling has artex on it at the moment which I am going to get skimmed over. My question is, should I cut the hold and fit the loft hatch frame first and leave it protruding a few millimetres for the skim, or have the entire ceiling reskimmed and then cut the hole and fit the hatch?

Many thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
I am making a new loft hole and hatch in one of my bedrooms.........My question is, should I cut the hold and fit the loft hatch frame first and leave it protruding a few millimetres

You have it sussed here rich. ;)

I personally encourage my customers to overboard as skimming artex can be unpredictable at times.

unpredictable is one word, had some reactivate on me a while back, it stripped itself from the ceiling in large patches :eek: i'll only overskim really if the pattern is the common and very shallow stipple.

anyways, i digress somewhat, fit the hatch first and leave it a few mills proud for skim, you wouldn't want to damage the new skim now would you, though if carefully done you can cut a hole into the ceiling without any mess, well nothing some architrave wouldn't sort out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back