How to get flush finish aroudn loft hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The best place for a loft hatch is in the corner of a bedroom, and I'd thus like it as inconspicuous as possible.

I'd therefore like to not announce its presence with architrave and such; is there a way to do this?

I am re-plasterboarding and skimming the ceiling anyway, so thinking I could just have beading on the edge of the plaster board, and plaster right up to it. Not sure how to make the loft hatch completely flush with the level of the ceiling though.

Sponsored Links
You could use edge beading (not angle) & then form an inset timber frame fixed above the PB (& of course to the joists) which will stabilise the edges. You can then fix a hinged ply hatch with a top latch to secure but you will still see the edges of the hinges & the ply texture makes it look different when painted; it must also be smaller for it to fit so you will see a gap line around it. I’ve used cement board rather than ply to construct service access panels (pumps, thermostatic valves etc) but usually in walls; it remains stable, is very robust but its relatively heavy & probably not suitable as an overhead hinged hatch. I fit edge bead to that as well & skim the face of it with Gypsum plaster; which is possible with the correct preparation despite what the board manufacturer may say. I fix the panel with a couple of discrete mirror screws but of course you will see these on a ceiling.

Dont be tempted to use a flush timber frame (whith the PB) & sklim over it as the plaster will crack & fall off! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back