one coat plaster or easifill 20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate's brother skimmed over the top of the artex in our hall way.

At the time I removed the architrave for the loft hatch and PIR sensors but neglected to remove the ceiling rose for the lights so he's plastered right up to them.

I've scored the plaster around the rose and removed them and I now want to patch in the bare patch of plasterboard revealed behind them and install new ceiling roses on top of the plaster surface.

It'll need about 8-9mm of plaster.

I'm considering either filling in with some one-coat plaster that I have a bag of and then once that has set filling it till flush with easifill which i can then sand flush.

OR

Attempting to make up the whole 8-9 mm with easifill and then sanding flush.

Can anyone recommend one way over the other? Do I need to prepare the bare plasterboard (it was never artexed originally or skimmed over) in anyway? It's only a small patch the area of a ceiling rose.

Forgot to mention that drying time is a small issue as we'll have no lights in the hallway until the repair is complete and the new ceiling rose installed.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
i would use the one coat as it can go on thicker and can be put on slightly proud and flattened back with sand paper after.

If you have one coat, use that it will sand down.
No need to buy a bag of easifill, you'll be wasting your money.
Just remember when removing the ceiling rose to make a drawing of the connection, and mark up the cables, or you could get your wires crossed :)
and of course before you do that isolate the circuit :eek:

Blimey 9mm is bloody thick for a ceiling skim :eek: ; even the thickest Artex patterns I’ve done arn't usually more than 5mm & that's into the troughs; what plaster did he use?

As you’ve already got it, use the one coat to fill out to around 1mm low then use Easyfill or any proprietary powered filler to fill out & sand of when dry. The one coat will probably take around 90 minutes to set & then you can apply the Easyfill but although that will probably set after around 90 minutes, I wouldn’t attempt to sand it back until the whole lots thoroughly dried out which will probably take around 24 hours.

For temporary lighting just jury rig an old pendant light fitting with a connector block. ;)

Sponsored Links
Blimey 9mm is bloody thick for a ceiling skim :eek: ; even the thickest Artex patterns I’ve done arn't usually more than 5mm & that's into the troughs; what plaster did he use?
The 9mm is right back to the original plasterboard. Underneath the ceiling rose was never artexed or skimmed so when i removed the rose the original plasterboard was visible. He's skimmed on top of the artex right up to the rose.

The 9mm is right back to the original plasterboard. Underneath the ceiling rose was never artexed or skimmed so when i removed the rose the original plasterboard was visible. He's skimmed on top of the artex right up to the rose.
It's rather on the heavy side, I hope those boards are well fixed up there :LOL:

the 9mm depth doesnt suprise me, i have removed countless lights where this has been done and the plaster always seems to the sloped up towards the light so as to form a kind of hump around the fitting when removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back