Plasterboard over serving hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning to batten and plasterboard a kitchen wall, which has a serving hatch in it, using 38mm x 38mm battens and 12.5mm board.

The hatch is 600mm x 990mm so I will not be able to get the battens on 400mm centres, and I am wondering what the best approach is.

Is there are acceptable way to batten around the hatch? (I have sketched out some ideas I had below) or do I need noggins across the hatch?

I have been advised to put 9mm OSB under the plasterboard to provide firm fixing points for cupboards etc. If I do this, would that provide sufficient suppport, even if I just batten like idea A below?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

AmoTy6xh.jpg

Sponsored Links
to answer your question - use 1/2" ply and 1/2" plasterboard.
remove all the trim and set a frame of say 50mm x 40mm backing pieces around the hole with say two cross noggins.
set the frame back one inch on the kitchen side.

is that a masonry wall or a stud partition?
i dont understand your ABC?
presuming your going to remove all tile from the surrounding walls?

Thanks. Much appreciated.

It is a brick wall, I am planning to just remove the tiles as needed to enable direct contact between the battens and the existing plaster. With the ABC I was trying to show idea for how I might batten it, the red bars being battens.

I am not clear on the suggestion of "50mm x 40mm backing pieces around the hole". Do you mean 50mm x 40mm battens, framing the hole, something like B?

Sponsored Links
set the 50mm x 40mm frame back one inch (leave a few mm's extra for skimming over) - so the backing frame is set back in the hole.

you could always brick up the opening and solid plaster the patches on either side of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back